To Major in music at CSUEB, all prospective undergraduate students must:
- Be admitted as a student to California State University, East Bay.
- Complete a Music Department Application.
- Successfully complete a Music Department audition
Auditions may be individually scheduled on a case-by-case basis. If travel distance is prohibitive, a high-quality audio or video recording may be substituted.
Scholarships: Students who audition on Audition Weekend will automatically be considered for scholarships. Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional skill in their performance medium. Only those students who audition on the specified audtition dates will be considered for scholarships.
- Upon acceptance into the university, new transfer and graduate students are required to complete placement examinations in music theory (and music history for graduate students only).
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR THE M.A. IN MUSIC
Applying for admittance to the graduate program in music is a two-step process that is outlined below. Please use the Graduate Study Application Checklist (download here) to help in this process and include it with your application. For more information about individual areas of emphasis, scholarship, fellowship, and assistantship, and all detailed instructions, please visit the graduate section of our departmental website. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis throughout the year, but preference will be given to those who apply by March 1, 2013. All application materials must be submitted by May 15, 2013.
- Step One: Apply to the University. Visit the University's Graduate Admission's page. Once you are sure you have met the requirements for admission to the university graduate program follow the "Graduate Application Instructions," including submitting an online application (CSU Mentor), transcripts, and other materials. The GRE is not required for admission to the graduate program at Cal State East Bay. Prospective international applicants should visit the University's International Student Admission's page.
- Step Two: Apply to the Department of Music. Submit the following documents in paper form to the Department of Music:
- Department of Music Graduate Studies Application Form (download here)
- A Statement of Purpose of no more than three pages (typed, double-spaced), describing your reasons for choosing to pursue a graduate degree in music and what you see as your goals in this program and beyond.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who are in a position to comment on your potential to succeed in graduate work.
- Evidence of your abilities in the area of emphasis you wish to pursue as a graduate student:
- Choral Music: Submit a video recording (DVD) of at least 15 minutes of a rehearsal with a choral ensemble. You may optionally include a video of a concert performance in addition to the rehearsal video. Final candidates will be invited to campus to audition with one of the CSUEB choral ensembles.
Preference will be given to candidates who apply to the Music Department by March 1.
- Composition: submit a portfolio of the scores of 3-4 representative compositions for various combinations of instruments and voices, preferably with an audio or video recording of the works.
- Music Theory: submit a research paper on a music theory or an analysis with commentary of a substantial musical composition. Your submission should display your ability to clearly discuss analytical or theoretical issues.
- Music History: submit a 10-12-page research paper on any topic of music history or another academic area of music. This paper should display your ability to write thoughtfully and with clarity about issues in music.
- Performance: . Schedule an audition at the Department of Music that includes at least two contrasting examples of compositions at the senior undergraduate-level of difficulty. Audition recordings (audio or video) will also be accepted upon approval from the graduate coordinator. Must also complete the Department of Music Application form.
- Music Education:
- Submit a copy of your California Teaching Credential
- Submit portfolio evidence of a minimum of two years fulltime teaching at the K-12th grade levels, or a minimum of three years fulltime teaching at the K-12th grade levels without the Credential
Submit the documents listed in Step Two in paper form to:
Dr. Peter K. Marsh, Graduate Coordinator
Department of Music
Music Building, Room 2571
California State University, East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542
First-time freshman advising is organized by the University Advisement Center (UAC). All freshman must attend summer advising scheduled by the UAC.
Graduate student advising is scheduled individually with the Graduate Coordinator. Transfer student advising is scheduled with respective music department advisors on an ad hoc basis. See Student Resources page for a listing of Music Department advisors.